Sequoia National Park (Photo: Zrim)
More than 100 U.S. national parks will waive entrance fees during National Park Week April 16-24, 2011, including several in California. Focusing on the theme “Healthy Parks, Healthy People,” folks are encouraged to get outdoors and embrace a healthy lifestyle while appreciating the value of keeping our nation’s parks healthy and alive.
As part of National Park Week, there will be ranger talks, nature hikes, guided tours, and family-friendly activities. There will be special events, such as an organized walk through Muir Woods on April 21 in observance of John Muir's birthday and festivities celebrating Junior Ranger Day on April 23. Park concessioners will offer specials and discounts on food, transportation, lodging and souvenirs throughout the week.
If you’re unable to visit a park during the fee-free week, additional 2011 free days are scheduled for June 21, September 21, and November 11-13. Let us know which parks you plan to explore!
National Parks in California
- Cabrillo National Monument
- Death Valley National Park
- John Muir National Historic Site
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Lassen Volcanic National Park
- Lava Beds National Monument
- Muir Woods National Monument
- Pinnacles National Monument
- San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
- Sequoia National Park
- Whiskeytown Unit National Recreation Area
- Yosemite National Park