California is the nation’s top agricultural state, producing more than 350 crops, so why not have a party to celebrate one of its beloved products - asparagus. The 26th Annual Asparagus Festival takes place April 15-17, 2011 in downtown Stockton and is expected to draw nearly 100,000 people. The food fest features everything from appetizers to main dishes to sauces and dressings, incorporating asparagus as a key ingredient. From deep-fried asparagus to asparagus burritos, there will be no shortage of dining delights along with a selection of fine wines. Also on the agenda during the three-day event will be cooking demonstrations, arts, crafts, entertainment, and children’s activities. Musical headliners include the California rock band, Smash Mouth and Country Music favorite, Little Texas.
Interesting Asparagus Facts
- Asparagus is a member of the Lily family.
- Asparagus has no fat, no cholesterol and is low in sodium. It’s high in folic acid and a good source of potassium, fiber, vitamins A, C, B6, and thiamin.
- An asparagus spear can grow up to 10" in a 24-hour period.
- White asparagus is the same plant as green asparagus. Its spears are covered to block sunlight, thus preventing photosynthesis and the development of chlorophyll - the green color found in regular asparagus.
- Some say eating asparagus can help ease hangovers.
- The larger the diameter of the asparagus, the better the quality.
More Information: Stockton Asparagus Festival
221 North Center Street, Stockton, CA 95203
Dates/Hours: April 15-17, 2011, 10am-7pm daily
Tickets: $12 Adults, $7 Seniors, Teens (ages 13-17), Active Military & College Students. Children 12 & under are free with paying adults.